Visitor Locator


Visitor Map

Saturday, April 26, 2008

MACARTHUR - Bob Ong



You may find it far from the accepted literary norms due to the radical use of explicit langauge, but then I must say that Bob Ong did reinvent his literary career quite successfully, although I think it's wise also to mention its flaws later.



I found myself comparing his style to Tony S. Perez' Cubao 1980, only Ong produced an allegorical account of the harsh truths that today's Filipino youth have been expriencing with. His humor, I must say have yet to fail him and his implicit way of extending some lessons in life is quite impressive.


"...di naman kailangan ng mga estudyante ang cellphone e...tangina, kayabangan lang yon! Ba't kailangan nila ng latest model? , di ba para magyabang? kung importante sa buhay ng tao ang teleponong may camera, dapat dati pa tayo lahat namatay!" - this for me is one of the best lines I found reflecting with, not that it hit me hard on my face, but that I came into a conclusion that such fact have been ignored by students of today. Sometimes, we find certain, usually delicate facts in life being left out because we are too busy with finding ways and means of fitting in with the fast pacing time.

The story goes like this. There are four friends (Cyrus, Jim, Noel and Voltron) who each have their individual problems. To at least lighten up their load, they resort to drugs which brings them short-lived pleasure. They did all things just to provide themselves at least one bag everytime they have their "sessions". But in the end, Noel, through the kindness shown by Cyrus' grandfather, Mang Justo, and the plight that happned on the latter due to Cyrus' addicition, he found himself mulling over the things he and his gang did in the past. And so, he realized something that he must do at once for him to save his future. At this point, that something is for me to keep in secret and for you to discover.


Bob Ong amazingly rebuffed the wrong doings of "kotong cops" tacitly in the novel through the character of Topak who after Cyrus robs tails him afterwards to force him to surrender what he have to sell it for himself. This is only one view but I believe there are more in the true world worser than this.

As I said earlier, there are certain flaws I must also mention. I wouldn't be honest if I say that i never felt bored at some parts of the novel. It even came to the point that I want to put it down and stop reading but I did follow my great professor's principle in dealing with literature - that there are certain ways in treating different kinds of literary work, that you just have to shift from your standard ways to a more scholarly one. I did this and I used the platinus theory (that literature is a noble work and thus give noble ideals) as well as the dialectic (that literature can create a revolutionary change) and classical (that literature gives values) theories in dealing with the work. I hate to sound technical but to make it short, I kept in mind that it is just one part (the part which I felt bored) and it does not give judgement to the latter parts. Another is that I know that the author do have something to tell his readers and which kept me leafing through the pages until I reached the end. I strictly advice those who would also feel what I felt to do what I also did or perhaps think of other things which you could make yourself eager finishing it.


I think I said much for now. Probably next time I would add soe more or revise my comments. What are you waiting for? Rush to yur nearest bookstore and secure a copy for yourself!


Posted by Nicky Guinto on June 17, 2007 at 03:14 AM in Books in Friendster Blogs

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir, magtatanung lang po ako, kasi nahihirapan bumili ang pamangkin ko ng macarthur book gagamitin nila sa school,grade 12 sti.. may ma download po ba para iprint na lang namin, salamat po