Visitor Locator


Visitor Map

Sunday, April 27, 2008

My 2007 Top 10 Books

In my quest to find a good story, I probably have stumbled upon the ones that I've been looking for. But I believe, there are more that are just lying around the corner waiting to be discovered and I must say that I am looking forward to that day, likewise I'm positive to really uncover one that is far from what I perceive to be good at this time.

Meanwhile, among the books that I've read starting December 2006 - December, 2007, I hereby commend the following books ranked according to their excellence in my point of view.

Rank No. 1 : GAPO by Lualhati Bautista

Rank No. 2 : OF MICE AND MEN by John Steinbeck

Rank No. 3 : HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS by J.K. Rowling

Rank No. 4: THE JESTER by James Patterson

Rank No. 5 : YOUNGBLOOD 1,2 and 3 by Various Authors

Rank No. 6 : THE ALCHEMIST by Paolo Coelho

Rank No. 7 : MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA by Arthur Golden

Rank No. 8 : THE TRUMPETER OF KRAKOW by Eric P. Kelly

Rank No. 9 : CATCHER IN THE RYE by J. D. Salinger

Rank No. 10 : THE NOTEBOOK by Nicholas Sparks

[These are regardless of whether they are fiction or non-fiction, novel or just a compilation of essays]

Notable Books*:

THE GIVER by Lois Lowry
HOLES by Louise Sachar
THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA by Lauren Weisberger
MACARTHUR by Bob Ong
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING by J.R.R. Tolkien
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBEby C.S. Lewis
DICEY'S SONG by Cynthia Voigt
THE DA VINCI CODE by Dan Brown
ANGELS AND DEMONS by Dan Brown
JOHNY TREMAIN by Esther Forbes
THE SLAVEDANCER by Paula Fox
ANIMAL FARM by George Orwell
WITHOUT SEEING THE DAWN by Stevan Javellana

* These notable books may either have an appeal for me but did not pass my standards for the TOP TEN or books which I have read on the previous year that still is worthy of attention.

However, I would also like to set my wish list for this year so that I could better have a mindset and some sort of a guide on particular titles I hear to be great.

1. THE BRIEF WONDROUS LIFE OF OSCAR WAO by Junot Diaz
- the book proclaimed by TIME to be the best of 2007 in Fiction

2. OF GRAPES OF WRATH by John Steinbeck
- I was stunned by Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, I think it would do me the same in this since this novel is known to be Steinbeck's best.

3. A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS by Khaled Hosseini
- a National Bookstore bestseller and TIME's Top 3 best fiction book

4. THE LORD OF THE FLIES by William Golding
- I hear so much about this [it's goodness, that is] from one of my classmates and one of my teachers in my major subjects and also in the lists of some consumers in Amazon.com. I already have this and when time permits, I would start leafing through its contents.

5. NUMBER THE STARS by Lois Lowry
- I want to find out whether Lowry not only did great on The Giver but on his other works particularly this, which is also a Newbery Medal laureate.

6. ERAGON by Christopher Paolini
- I'm just curious. They say, he has written this when he was 15 or younger?

7. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
- I have seen the film but I'm quite disappointed. However, I found many consumers from Amazon.com consider it to be one of the best. So I think, it's better read than seen.

8. THE DIARY OF A YOUNG GIRL by Anne Frank
- I hear so much about this. I think I really have to find out why many people say it's a classic.

9. LADY CHATERLIE'S LOVER
- I forgot who the author is, but my literature professor speak of it many times and he urges us to read it soon. I hope I could find a copy.

10. LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATES
- I don't know whether it's really the title of that book but It always catches my attention whenever I pay a visit to the bookstore. It was also mentioned once by one of my professors.

MY MUST HAVES:

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS and THE RETURN OF THE KING
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN - this will be shown on May, 2008, so I feel like I need to read it first before going to the cinema.

Posted by Nicky Guinto on January 12, 2008 at 07:53 AM in Books at Friendster Blogs

0 comments: